About DRI Lebanon
Democracy Reporting International (DRI) has been active in Lebanon since 2016, strengthening democracy by bringing it closer to people through effective local governance, improved transparency and citizen participation.
What we do
Our work in Lebanon focuses on three important areas:
- Empower civil society, notably women, to participate actively in political life and elections, increasing their representation in decision-making positions.
- Curb corruption and ensure that laws are created in a transparent way that respects the rule of law.
- Increase engagement between people and local authorities to help improve how public services are delivered and cooperation between different levels of government.
How we do it
We use a host of different methods to turn our goals into reality, including:
- Raising awareness and advocating for better local governance through social media campaigns and collaboration with civil society organisations.
- Building platforms that bring together citizens and local governments to facilitate reform to local governance.
- Training civil society groups on anti-corruption laws, good governance principles, and solid waste management.
- Providing expertise and recommendations to parliamentary committees, government, and civil society on how to design and implement good governance and decentralisation policies.
- Creating youth councils and empowering them to play an effective role in holding their local representatives accountable and implementing reform initiatives.
- Municipal Know-How for Host Communities in the Middle East – DRI focuses on promoting dialogue and intercultural exchange between municipalities in Lebanon and Germany to develop innovative solutions to local problems.
- Resilience in Local Governance – In this project, DRI works with two municipal unions and the Akkar governorate’s administration to enhance the effectiveness of local public authorities.
- Review of the Directorate General of Local Administration and Council – With the support of the Municipal Empowerment and Resilience Project, DRI initiated a holistic assessment of the efficiency of the Directorate General of Local Administration and Council.
- Social Participation and Social Engagement by Young People - In this project, DRI aims to increase social and political participation of youth and improve social cohesion by creating youth councils and training opportunities in partnership with Lebanese municipalities.
- Supporting Decentralisation Phase III: Accountable, Inclusive and Democratic Governance in Lebanon – DRI supports civil and public actors in conducting an accountable, inclusive and effective decentralisation reform, providing training and expert guidance, as well as organising peer-to-peer exchanges and public awareness campaigns.